4/29/12

Bedtime Prayers


[Written last weekend]

At the monastery where I am spending the weekend, the monks pray fives times per day in the chapel. The final prayer, compline, is the bedtime prayer. Of the ones I have attended, it is my favorite.

I think that bedtime is a good time to take stock of the day, and to let one's stripped-down, essential self come out. In my life, night is not physically much more dangerous than day (unless I end up walking home a lot later than planned), but night is more dangerous in terms of emotional vulnerability, in the potential for mistakes, in allowing fear to direct actions. Problems seem bigger at night. Unrequited love grows unbearable. It is soothing to crawl into bed at the end of a long, difficult day, pull the blankets up, nestle down, close my eyes-- both because I need the sleep and because I feel a certain safety in my bed.

Last night at compline the monks sang a line something like,

'protect those who work while others sleep, night and day.'

In New York City it is especially clear to me that there are people working at all hours of the day. The overnight subway workers, for instance. They are visible yet ignored by the bleary-eyed folks going home, and forgotten by those already at home. Most likely, the subway workers are watching out for someone else, some loved one who is currently sleeping and who relies on their wages to eat. But who watches out for the worker?

If I believed in a world where a God protected those who other people pray for, then it seems like the only mutualistic, compassionate system for the day workers to pray for the night workers before falling asleep, and the night workers to pray for the day workers before falling asleep.

Since I don't believe in that world, what appeals to me about bedtime prayer, I think, is that it is an expression of one human's care for another. Asking a god to protect someone implies that you're going to try to protect them too-- even if we know that our efforts to protect each other from some things are futile.

Tonight, compline reminded me of another bedtime prayer. A few years ago, I was in a brief relationship with a close friend of mine, C. We slept in the same bed less than a dozen times. When he prepared to sleep, lying under the sheets, C would repeat the prayer he that he would say with his family as a boy. I listened as he recited the basic prayer, the words falling out quickly and fluidly, almost without him trying to form them. At the end, he would ask God to bless the members of his immediate family, one by one, ending with himself:

“Bless Mommy and Daddy and T and B and C...

Which is endearing in itself. But whenever he said this prayer in my presence, he would add my name:

“Bless mommy and daddy and T and B and C and Kelly.”

Asking God for my well-being, yes. But in doing so, making me a part of his family, right up there with his older brothers who I know he loves dearly. I felt especially protected those nights, like someone had laid an extra blanket over my body that was not bullet-proof, but that did protect from loneliness. 

1 comment: